- Listed: 04/12/2013 2:30 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
How big is the biotech industry in Japan?
Source: JETRO: BIO2013
The biotechnology industry occupies an important position in 21th century Japan. The industry was valued at 2.75 trillion yen (appox. $ 34.5 billion USD) in 2012.
The current of open innovation promotes the growth and activities of Japanese biotechnology companies (currently over 500) and the growth of their licensing out of contracts.
The competitiveness of the Japanese biotechnology industry is largely underpinned by the country’s high share of biotechnology patents filed under PCT and the high amount of biotechnology R&D expenditures in the business sector.
The Japanese government recognizes biotechnology as a key driver of future economic growth and strongly supports both domestic biotech initiatives and its global development. The regenerative therapy especially the therapy using iPS cells is accentuated to support by them.
Collaborative development of Japanese biotechnology business with foreign activities is greatly welcomed under the circumstances.
Number of licensing out contracts by Japanese biotech firms
Share of countries in biotechnology patents filed under PCT, 2008-10
Japan ranks 2nd in the world
Data relate to patent applications filed under the PCT, at international phase, designating the European Patent Office (EPO). Patent counts are based on the priority date, the inventor’s country of residence and fractional counts.
Number of biotech firms and location of participant’s head office
“Japan Bio-venture Statistical Survey Results 2012”, Japan Bioindustry Association (JBA)
5373 total views, 2 today
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Eco-Stage Engineering Co., Ltd. – Produces Valuable Resources from Organic Waste
- Sumita Optical Glass, Inc. – Optical Glass Manufacturing and R&D
- Japan Expo USA 2013 – 40 artists, and 45 exhibitors in Santa Clara Convention Center
- Brilliant Japanese Product & Packaging Design – Rachel Arandilla
- TOTO who Japan high-tech toilet maker eyes global throne