- Listed: 05/26/2014 2:30 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Restaurant sales rose 2.3% in April
Date: May 26, 2014
Source: NHK World
Restaurant chains across Japan brushed off the impact of the April consumption tax hike. Sales rose that month by more than 2 percent.
Officials from the Japan Food Service Association say sales were up 2.3 percent in April from the same month last year. The rise was for the second straight month. Family-style restaurant chains did especially well, with sales rising 5 percent. Restaurant operators credit new menus and discount coupons for the rise. Fast food restaurants added 0.9 percent to sales.
But some outlets had to increase prices after the tax raise, driving away some customers.
Still, officials from the association say the impact of the tax rise has been limited. Many restaurant operators continue to report strong sales for May.
The industry has been struggling lately, however, with a different problem: a shortage of part-time workers in Japan’s improving job market. The problem has even forced some restaurants to close. Industry watchers say the lack of manpower could influence future sales.
Top Ads Today
- Hotel Intergate Kyoto Shijo Shinmachi - Comfortable stay in Kyoto (42 views)
- SATSUMA SHUZO CO., LTD. - Shochu Manufacturer (21 views)
- Japanese multinational electronics company - Brother Industries, Ltd. (20 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (14 views)
- First produced Japanese whiskey in 1937 - Suntory Holdings Limited (14 views)
- AMINO UP CHEMICAL Co.,Ltd. - Oligonol (11 views)
- Kyoetsu Co. Ltd., - Kimono sales, rental, women's wigs, men's apparel from Kyoto (11 views)
- Nippura Co., Ltd. - Aquarium Manufacturer (11 views)
- Kuken Kogyo Co., Ltd. - Leading manufacturer of cooling tower systems in Japan (9 views)
- Acoma Medical Industry Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing medical devices, including artificial ventilators (9 views)