- Listed: 05/26/2014 2:30 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Restaurant sales rose 2.3% in April
Date: May 26, 2014
Source: NHK World
Restaurant chains across Japan brushed off the impact of the April consumption tax hike. Sales rose that month by more than 2 percent.
Officials from the Japan Food Service Association say sales were up 2.3 percent in April from the same month last year. The rise was for the second straight month. Family-style restaurant chains did especially well, with sales rising 5 percent. Restaurant operators credit new menus and discount coupons for the rise. Fast food restaurants added 0.9 percent to sales.
But some outlets had to increase prices after the tax raise, driving away some customers.
Still, officials from the association say the impact of the tax rise has been limited. Many restaurant operators continue to report strong sales for May.
The industry has been struggling lately, however, with a different problem: a shortage of part-time workers in Japan’s improving job market. The problem has even forced some restaurants to close. Industry watchers say the lack of manpower could influence future sales.
Top Ads Today
- Umitron K. K. - Develop computerized sustainable aquaculture model using IoT technology (44 views)
- Fuji Kyuko Co., Ltd. - Operate transportation, tourism and amusement park near Mt. Fuji (27 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (22 views)
- Takaha Kiko Co., Ltd. - Solenoid Manufacturer (18 views)
- Mori Building Co., Ltd. - Engages in the urban redevelopment activities based in Tokyo, Japan (11 views)
- teamLab Inc. - Artists in various fields gathered to collaborate the natural world (11 views)
- Japanese Traditional Sail Canvas Bags - Matsuemon ho (10 views)
- Gifu Seiki Kogyo Co., Ltd. - We specialize in precision deep drawing (9 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (9 views)
- Japanese brand road bike specializing in triathlon - CEEPO (8 views)