- Listed: 06/10/2014 10:24 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Black-rind watermelons fetch 350,000 yen at season’s 1st auctions
Date: Jun 10, 2014
Source: Kyodo News
TOKYO – A black-rind watermelon grown in Hokkaido, northern Japan, fetched a winning bid of 350,000 yen ($3,500 USD) on Tuesday in the year’s first auction of the fruit at produce markets in Asahikawa and Sapporo.
The highest bid for one of roughly 240 Densuke watermelons, a signature product of the town of Toma, was 50,000 yen($500.00 USD) above last year’s top price.
The successful bidder at the Asahikawa market was Satoshi Ogino, a 47-year-old fruit and vegetable broker. “Providing little encouragement to the efforts of the farmers, I added 50,000 yen more to the winning price of last year,” he said.
A farmers’ cooperative in Toma said it plans to ship a combined 70,000 Densuke watermelons this year.
While the peak season of the fruit is in July, these are expected to retail for some 5,000 yen apiece.
The all-time highest winning bid for the fruit is 650,000 yen ($6500 USD), fetched in 2008.
1561 total views, 1 today
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Honda and Acura to Offer Convenience of Apple’s Siri™ Eyes Free on Select 2013 Vehicles
- Mihama Corporation – Sales of refrigerants, air conditioning, chemicals, water treatment and energy products
- Mitsubishi Electric to Deliver Two Communication Satellites to Turkey
- Sysmex Corporation – Global Leader in Automated Hematology Diagnostics
- Aso Kuginogama – Ceramic Art
Top Ads Today
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (5 views)
- SHINKO IND. LTD. - Our Cargo Oil Pumps Occupies 85% of The Global Market (3 views)
- HORAIYA HONTEN CO., LTD. - Hiyashi Amazake (3 views)
- Gifu Seiki Kogyo Co., Ltd. - We specialize in precision deep drawing (3 views)
- Japan companies eyes Southeast Asia for developing food market (3 views)
- Mitaka Kohki Co., Ltd. - 50% share of the market for neurosurgical microscopes (3 views)
- Nippon Steel & Sumikin Stainless Steel Corporation - Production of stainless steel products (2 views)
- Nippura Co., Ltd. - Aquarium Manufacturer (2 views)
- Selected Delicious Japanese Rice from Kyushu - Asagohan Honpo (2 views)
- Yamazaki Mazak Corporation - Industrial Machine Manufacturing (2 views)