- Listed: 06/10/2014 10:24 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Black-rind watermelons fetch 350,000 yen at season’s 1st auctions
Date: Jun 10, 2014
Source: Kyodo News
TOKYO – A black-rind watermelon grown in Hokkaido, northern Japan, fetched a winning bid of 350,000 yen ($3,500 USD) on Tuesday in the year’s first auction of the fruit at produce markets in Asahikawa and Sapporo.
The highest bid for one of roughly 240 Densuke watermelons, a signature product of the town of Toma, was 50,000 yen($500.00 USD) above last year’s top price.
The successful bidder at the Asahikawa market was Satoshi Ogino, a 47-year-old fruit and vegetable broker. “Providing little encouragement to the efforts of the farmers, I added 50,000 yen more to the winning price of last year,” he said.
A farmers’ cooperative in Toma said it plans to ship a combined 70,000 Densuke watermelons this year.
While the peak season of the fruit is in July, these are expected to retail for some 5,000 yen apiece.
The all-time highest winning bid for the fruit is 650,000 yen ($6500 USD), fetched in 2008.
Top Ads Today
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (61 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (44 views)
- Mu Ltd. - Self-propelling capsule endoscopy "MiniMermaid" (43 views)
- Japan's Smart Glasses Developer - WESTUNITIS CO., LTD. (40 views)
- Japanese brand road bike specializing in triathlon - CEEPO (40 views)
- SATSUMA SHUZO CO., LTD. - Shochu Manufacturer (37 views)
- First produced Japanese whiskey in 1937 - Suntory Holdings Limited (36 views)
- Steamed Bean Snack - Steamed Organic Beans Products. Good for Vegan too! (33 views)
- Mary Chocolate Co., Ltd. made Japanese style Valentine's Day (31 views)
- Kyowa Giken - Pneumatic Pitching Machine "TOPGUN" (30 views)