- Listed: 06/10/2014 10:24 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Black-rind watermelons fetch 350,000 yen at season’s 1st auctions
Date: Jun 10, 2014
Source: Kyodo News
TOKYO – A black-rind watermelon grown in Hokkaido, northern Japan, fetched a winning bid of 350,000 yen ($3,500 USD) on Tuesday in the year’s first auction of the fruit at produce markets in Asahikawa and Sapporo.
The highest bid for one of roughly 240 Densuke watermelons, a signature product of the town of Toma, was 50,000 yen($500.00 USD) above last year’s top price.
The successful bidder at the Asahikawa market was Satoshi Ogino, a 47-year-old fruit and vegetable broker. “Providing little encouragement to the efforts of the farmers, I added 50,000 yen more to the winning price of last year,” he said.
A farmers’ cooperative in Toma said it plans to ship a combined 70,000 Densuke watermelons this year.
While the peak season of the fruit is in July, these are expected to retail for some 5,000 yen apiece.
The all-time highest winning bid for the fruit is 650,000 yen ($6500 USD), fetched in 2008.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Japanese IPS researchers identify gene in retinal disease
- IKK Inc.
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency plan to build 1-gigawatt space-based solar power generator within 25 years
- FAIN-Biomedical Inc. – Comprehensive Endovascular Surgery Simulation
- Kyocera Communication
Top Ads Today
- Morioka Seiko Instruments Inc. - Luxury Watch Manufacturer (23 views)
- KENKO Mayonnaise Co., Ltd. - Mayonnaise and Dressings Manufacture (22 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (22 views)
- Organic Potato Chips "Manna Chips" - Pure Seaweed & Salt to maximize its "UMAMI" (12 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (12 views)
- Dynax Corporation - Production of wet-type friction plates, reaction plates for vehicles and ships (12 views)
- SATSUMA SHUZO CO., LTD. - Shochu Manufacturer (11 views)
- Reel-to-reel Gold and Tin plating - High Conductive, Low Contact Resistance and Good Bonding & Soldering (11 views)
- Japanese Traditional Bento Box and Tableware - Maturi no Eemon (11 views)
- AMINO UP CHEMICAL Co.,Ltd. - Oligonol (10 views)