Japan’s gov to approve anti-melanoma drug. It’s first country to approve the drug for melanoma sufferers
- Listed: 06/26/2014 6:02 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Japan’s ministry to approve anti-melanoma drug
Date: Jun 26, 2014
Source: NHK World
Japan’s health ministry says it will approve a domestic pharmaceutical company’s application to sell a new anti-melanoma drug. The ministry says Japan will be the first country to approve the drug for melanoma sufferers.
Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that can resemble moles, and sometimes develop from moles. Once it progresses to the advanced stage, the disease is difficult to treat with surgery or anti-cancer drugs.
A health ministry expert panel on Thursday decided it will give the green light to an application filed by Osaka-based Ono Pharmaceutical.
The drug blocks the action of a protein called PD-1, which weakens immune responses, allowing the immune system to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
The Japanese firm says it developed the drug in cooperation with a US firm which was later acquired by Bristol-Myers Squibb.
Japan’s health ministry is expected to issue official approval soon. The pharmaceutical firm will begin distribution by the end of the year.
Estimates show that at least 1,400 people in Japan develop symptoms of melanoma every year, and half of them die.
Hiroko Tokunaga, the representative of a melanoma patient group, says the new drug will save more patients. She hopes more medicines will be developed and approved, even for illnesses that afflict relatively few people.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Japan H-2A rocket was successfully launched with observation satellite on Saturday. Launch success rate is 95.8%
- The highest level of service and hospitality – Prince Hotels, Inc.
- Japan Environment Techno Co., Ltd.
- 22nd 3D & Virtual Reality Expo (IVR)
- Nagase & Co., Ltd. – Osaka Head Office
Top Ads Today
- Reel-to-reel Gold and Tin plating - High Conductive, Low Contact Resistance and Good Bonding & Soldering (16 views)
- Japanese Chef Knives - Kamikoto (9 views)
- Manufacturing Food Processing and Automation Machine - Nikko Co., Ltd. (8 views)
- Japan's leading sporting goods manufacturer - ASICS Corporation (6 views)
- Manufacturing Japanese Curry from 1926 - House Foods Group Inc. (6 views)
- Uzushio Electric Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing of electrical equipment for ships (6 views)
- Nihon Dento Kougyo Co., Ltd. - Leading Company for Electroplating in Japan (4 views)
- Toppan Printing Co., Ltd. - Established as printing technology venture in 1900 (4 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (4 views)
- Japanese Traditional "Kurume-Ori(Weave)" Clothing - Watanosato (4 views)