- Company Name: SAGA HIMAT Foundation
- State/Prefecture: Saga Prefecture
- City/Town/Village: Tosu
- Street: 415 Harakogamachi
- Zip/Postal Code: 841-0071
- Japan Office: Saga
- Website: http://www.saga-himat.jp/
- Listed: 05/22/2013 10:31 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
SAGA HIMAT is the leading-edge cancer therapy facility using heavy ion beam.
Heavy Ion beam cancer radiotherapy
Heavy ion beam cancer radiotherapy is one type of radiotherapy.
Heavy Ion beam cancer radiotherapy is the leading-edge radiotherapy, precisely irradiating cancerous cells with carbon ions accelerated to about 60 – 80% of the speed of light.
In the conventional radiotherapy using X-ray or gamma ray, and the irradiation from the external surface of the body is aimed at the cancerous cells. On the surface of the body, the irradiation is extensive and the intensity decreases inwards, therefore causing insufficient damage to the cancerous cells deeply rooted inside the body. Furthermore, damage is caused to the surrounding healthy cells.
On the other hand, the characteristics of the heavy ion and proton are such that the irradiation intensities on the body surface are weak, but reach the final peak (Bragg Peak) at the cancerous cells. Thus it is possible to pinpoint the cancerous cells, causing considerable damage to the cancerous cells, and minimizing damage to healthy cells.
In terms of the concentrated intensities, heavy ion beam radiotherapy is superior to proton therapy, and since the destructive effect on the cancerous cells is 2 to 3 times more effective, the irradiation frequency is lessened, thus it is possible to shorten the therapy period.
The carbon ion is 12 times more massive than a proton. The more massive the accelerated particle, the greater destructive power it achieves.
Features of Heavy Ion beam cancer radiotherapy
- Pinpoint irradiation of cancerous cells.
With heavy ion beams it is possible to concentrate the radiation dose very effectively, enabling pinpoint irradiation of cancerous cells. Therefore it is possible to destroy the cancerous cells deep inside the body while minimizing the damage to the healthy cells.
- No pain and minimal side effects
The radiation dose is concentrated on the cancerous cells, minimizing damage to healthy cells, resulting in minimal side effects. In addition the treatment is free of pain, making it usable in the elderly or other patients with low strength reserves.
- Highly effective irradiation
Compared to a proton, X-ray, gamma ray, or heavy ion beam has two to three times more destructive power, so that a single treatment is significantly more effective.
- Successful treatment of formerly difficult-to-treatment cancers
This form of radiotherapy has been demonstrated to be effective on a variety of cancers resistant to conventional radiotherapy, and on cancers located in places where surgery is difficult.
- Short-duration, outpatient treatment possible
Effects of Heavy Ion Radiation
Effects of Heavy Ion Radiation
National Institute of Radiological Sciences (in Chiba city.) started clinical investigations on cancer therapy using heavy-ion radiation in June 1994. By the end of March 2010, more than 5,000 patients have been treated.
Furthermore, Hyogo Ion Beam Medical Center began clinical investigations in 2002, and by the end of March 2009 more than 480 patients have been treated.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Asano Fire-Retardant Lumber Co. Ltd. – CELL+FUNEN
- AGC to Reduce by Six Times(80 million tons) Annual CO2 Emissions in 2020
- FUJISANKI INC. – Manufacture of Surface Grinding and Honing Machine
- Nikken Engineering Corporation – Advanced Pipe & Tube Bending Technologies
- i-com’s Co., Ltd.
Top Ads Today
- Japanese brand road bike specializing in triathlon - CEEPO (17 views)
- KENKO Mayonnaise Co., Ltd. - Mayonnaise and Dressings Manufacture (17 views)
- Morioka Seiko Instruments Inc. - Luxury Watch Manufacturer (17 views)
- First produced Japanese whiskey in 1937 - Suntory Holdings Limited (13 views)
- FUJISEIKI Co., Ltd. - Sushi, Rice Ball and Noodle Making Machine (10 views)
- Japan's leading sporting goods manufacturer - ASICS Corporation (7 views)
- SAGA HIMAT - Heavy Ion Cancer Treatment Center (7 views)
- Acoma Medical Industry Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing medical devices, including artificial ventilators (7 views)
- Moritaka Hamono Inc. - Japanese Knife Manufacturing Company (7 views)
- YASKAWA Electric Corporation - Manufacturer of Servos, Machine Controllers, AC Motor Drives, Switches and Robots (6 views)