- Listed: 05/27/2013 4:36 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Dress to kill in this synthetic spider silk outfit
Qmonos is a tough, lightweight artificial spider silk with mass production applications, including everything from car parts to artificial blood vessels.
Date: May 26, 2013
by Tim Hornyak :CBS Interactive Inc
Spider silk is about four or five times stronger than steel, but it is remarkably lightweight. So, what would it feel like to walk around in a suit woven of the stuff?
Spiber, a startup in northern Japan, is showing off a dress made from synthetic spider silk. The firm is one of several groups looking into how to make and use artificial spider silk, a task that has proven to be very challenging for scientists.
The electric-blue dress was created from a material Spiber calls Qmonos (from kumonosu, or “spider web,” in Japanese). The material is extremely strong and more flexible than nylon.
The high-collared cocktail dress, on display at the Roppongi Hills complex in Tokyo, was created to demonstrate the technology behind Qmonos.
The territorial nature of spiders makes them difficult to farm like silkworms. So instead, Spiber developed a technology that uses synthesized genes and coaxes bacteria to produce fibroin, the structural protein in spider silk. Spiber then uses technology it developed to culture the microbes efficiently and weave the fibroin into fabric.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Dobashien Co., Ltd. – Manufacturing of japanese tea, and related tea goods
- Japan Display Start Shipping Module for Ultra-High Resolution 4K2K LCD of Tablets
- Yaginuma Press Industries Corporation – Metal Press, Welding, ASSY, Plating and Painting
- SHOTOKU CORPORATION – Broadcast Systems
- Nippon Sharyo, Ltd. – Manufacturing Railroad Vehicles For More Than 110 Years
Top Ads Today
- Industrial Machinery & Equipment Supplier - Mutsuura Honten Co., Ltd. (34 views)
- BON UNI Fukuoka Co., Ltd. - A High Quality Uniform Manufacturer (27 views)
- Fujiwara Industry Co., Ltd. - Wastewater Treatment and Tsunami Emergency Equipment (26 views)
- Manufacturing Japanese Curry from 1926 - House Foods Group Inc. (20 views)
- Moritaka Hamono Inc. - Japanese Knife Manufacturing Company (17 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (16 views)
- Japanese brand road bike specializing in triathlon - CEEPO (15 views)
- Gifu Seiki Kogyo Co., Ltd. - We specialize in precision deep drawing (15 views)
- Nitto Construction Inc. - Concrete Test Hammer (14 views)
- SATSUMA SHUZO CO., LTD. - Shochu Manufacturer (12 views)