- Listed: 05/27/2013 4:36 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Dress to kill in this synthetic spider silk outfit
Qmonos is a tough, lightweight artificial spider silk with mass production applications, including everything from car parts to artificial blood vessels.
Date: May 26, 2013
by Tim Hornyak :CBS Interactive Inc
Spider silk is about four or five times stronger than steel, but it is remarkably lightweight. So, what would it feel like to walk around in a suit woven of the stuff?
Spiber, a startup in northern Japan, is showing off a dress made from synthetic spider silk. The firm is one of several groups looking into how to make and use artificial spider silk, a task that has proven to be very challenging for scientists.
The electric-blue dress was created from a material Spiber calls Qmonos (from kumonosu, or “spider web,” in Japanese). The material is extremely strong and more flexible than nylon.
The high-collared cocktail dress, on display at the Roppongi Hills complex in Tokyo, was created to demonstrate the technology behind Qmonos.
The territorial nature of spiders makes them difficult to farm like silkworms. So instead, Spiber developed a technology that uses synthesized genes and coaxes bacteria to produce fibroin, the structural protein in spider silk. Spiber then uses technology it developed to culture the microbes efficiently and weave the fibroin into fabric.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Inovation Salon: Growing Biotech Ties Between The Bay Area and Japan
- When Math Meets Art, Techno-Frontier 2012 and Astrophotography Made Simple
- FAIN-Biomedical Inc. – Comprehensive Endovascular Surgery Simulation
- Mitsubishi Corp. and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, contribute to Improve water scarcity and infrastructure in Middle East, Africa and Asia
- World Premiere of the “SUBARU VIZIV 2 CONCEPT” at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show
Top Ads Today
- Reel-to-reel Gold and Tin plating - High Conductive, Low Contact Resistance and Good Bonding & Soldering (33 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (29 views)
- Organic Potato Chips "Manna Chips" - Pure Seaweed & Salt to maximize its "UMAMI" (29 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (21 views)
- Japanese hair care product "Botanist" is brought great response in the world (20 views)
- SHINKO IND. LTD. - Our Cargo Oil Pumps Occupies 85% of The Global Market (20 views)
- Marutake Sangyo Co., Ltd. - Workshop of Japanese Traditional Armors (20 views)
- First produced Japanese whiskey in 1937 - Suntory Holdings Limited (20 views)
- AMINO UP CHEMICAL Co.,Ltd. - Oligonol (18 views)
- SAGA HIMAT - Heavy Ion Cancer Treatment Center (18 views)