- Listed: 05/27/2013 4:36 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Dress to kill in this synthetic spider silk outfit
Qmonos is a tough, lightweight artificial spider silk with mass production applications, including everything from car parts to artificial blood vessels.
Date: May 26, 2013
by Tim Hornyak :CBS Interactive Inc
Spider silk is about four or five times stronger than steel, but it is remarkably lightweight. So, what would it feel like to walk around in a suit woven of the stuff?
Spiber, a startup in northern Japan, is showing off a dress made from synthetic spider silk. The firm is one of several groups looking into how to make and use artificial spider silk, a task that has proven to be very challenging for scientists.
The electric-blue dress was created from a material Spiber calls Qmonos (from kumonosu, or “spider web,” in Japanese). The material is extremely strong and more flexible than nylon.
The high-collared cocktail dress, on display at the Roppongi Hills complex in Tokyo, was created to demonstrate the technology behind Qmonos.
The territorial nature of spiders makes them difficult to farm like silkworms. So instead, Spiber developed a technology that uses synthesized genes and coaxes bacteria to produce fibroin, the structural protein in spider silk. Spiber then uses technology it developed to culture the microbes efficiently and weave the fibroin into fabric.
Top Ads Today
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (57 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (27 views)
- Kyokuto Valve Mfg. Co. Ltd. - We have over 60 years experience producing the highest quality safety valves (22 views)
- Mary Chocolate Co., Ltd. made Japanese style Valentine's Day (22 views)
- Japanese lacquer tableware using the makie technique of Yamanaka lacquerware - Yoshita Kashou Studio (21 views)
- Kenic System, Ltd. - Develop and Manufacturing LCD Controller IC (20 views)
- Japanese brand road bike specializing in triathlon - CEEPO (19 views)
- SHINKO IND. LTD. - Our Cargo Oil Pumps Occupies 85% of The Global Market (19 views)
- Acrorad Co., Ltd. - R&D and Manufacturing CdTe Detectors (18 views)
- SATSUMA SHUZO CO., LTD. - Shochu Manufacturer (17 views)