Japanese company develops technology to mass-produce ‘spider silk’ fabric
- Listed: 05/27/2013 4:36 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Dress to kill in this synthetic spider silk outfit
Qmonos is a tough, lightweight artificial spider silk with mass production applications, including everything from car parts to artificial blood vessels.
Date: May 26, 2013
by Tim Hornyak :CBS Interactive Inc
Spider silk is about four or five times stronger than steel, but it is remarkably lightweight. So, what would it feel like to walk around in a suit woven of the stuff?
Spiber, a startup in northern Japan, is showing off a dress made from synthetic spider silk. The firm is one of several groups looking into how to make and use artificial spider silk, a task that has proven to be very challenging for scientists.
The electric-blue dress was created from a material Spiber calls Qmonos (from kumonosu, or “spider web,” in Japanese). The material is extremely strong and more flexible than nylon.
The high-collared cocktail dress, on display at the Roppongi Hills complex in Tokyo, was created to demonstrate the technology behind Qmonos.
The territorial nature of spiders makes them difficult to farm like silkworms. So instead, Spiber developed a technology that uses synthesized genes and coaxes bacteria to produce fibroin, the structural protein in spider silk. Spiber then uses technology it developed to culture the microbes efficiently and weave the fibroin into fabric.
One Related article of “Japanese company develops technology to mass-produce ‘spider silk’ fabric”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Top Ads Today
- TSI Holdings Co., Ltd. - Offer more than 50 clothing brands for women (26 views)
- Tohoku Electronic Industrial (TEI) Co., Ltd. - Testing Equipment Manufacturer (11 views)
- SENJO SEIKI Co., Ltd. - Automatic Chamfering and Deburring Machines (10 views)
- Nippura Co., Ltd. - Aquarium Manufacturer (10 views)
- Kyoto Seisakusho Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing of packaging machines and processing machines (9 views)
- BON UNI Fukuoka Co., Ltd. - A High Quality Uniform Manufacturer (9 views)
- Japanese Premium Motorcycle Helmets - SHOEI Co. Ltd. (8 views)
- Pesticide-Free & Genuine Japanese Tea Manufacturer Since 1865 - Kanei Hitokoto Seicha Inc. (8 views)
- Shimamura Co., Ltd. - 2nd largest clothing company in Japan and ranked 10th in the world in 2017 (7 views)
- Mu Ltd. - Self-propelling capsule endoscopy "MiniMermaid" (6 views)
Gentleman, We are interested in the development of this fiber[ Qmonos] for commercial knitting for apparel and other uses. thank you anthony straus