Sanford-Burnham and Daiichi Sankyo are teaming up with to develop drugs to fight the pandemic of cardiovascular-metabolic diseases
- Listed: 05/21/2014 2:42 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Sanford-Burnham, Japanese firm to study metabolic drugs
Date: May 20, 2014
Source: Orlando Sentinel – By Scott Powers
Scientists at Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute at Lake Nona are teaming up with a Japanese pharmaceutical company to develop drugs to fight the pandemic of cardiovascular-metabolic diseases that lead to heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, peripheral artery diseases and other killers.
Sanford-Burnham and Daiichi Sankyo Co. todayare announcing the new three-year research project.
The partners are not revealing the cash value of the deal, and Sanford-Burnham officials say that will be a floating number anyway, depending on where the research leads. The arrangement reflects the not-for-profit Sanford-Burnham’s emerging strategy to increase commercial partnerships, focusing on “open-innovation” work that could develop all-new medical therapies, rather than researching specific potential drugs.
The partners hope to develop medicines that could help fundamentally deter metabolic disorders.
“It actually is potentially extremely lucrative [for Sanford-Burnham] because it not only provides us with research dollars and collaborations toward drug discoveries, but it also gives us a potential [commercial drug] license,” said Leslie Molony, senior director of the Office of Technology Management and Commercialization at Sanford-Burnham Lake Nona.
The researchers will be screening molecules of proteins, enzymes and other biological chemicals to see which ones might be linked to metabolic disorders. Sanford-Burnham’s home lab in La Jolla, Calif., also will be involved.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Japanese Methane Hydrate “Fire Ice” Could Spark Global Energy Revolution
- Parama-Tech Co., Ltd. – The World’s First Automatic Sphygmomanometer
- The 43rd Tokyo Motor Show on Nov 22 – Dec 1, 2013
- Lumica Corporation – Lighting Products Manufacturer
- Sumitomo to build largest biomass power plant in Japan. It’s enough to power 20,000 standard households
Top Ads Today
- KOSÉ Corporation - Japanese Cosmetics, Skin Care and Hair Care Products (44 views)
- SAGA HIMAT - Heavy Ion Cancer Treatment Center (28 views)
- Sato Seni Co., Ltd. - Yarn Spinning Manufacturer (27 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (25 views)
- Fujiwara Industry Co., Ltd. - Wastewater Treatment and Tsunami Emergency Equipment (19 views)
- TOHOKU KOGEI Co., Ltd. - Traditional Craftwork "Tamamushi Lacquerware" (13 views)
- Mu Ltd. - Self-propelling capsule endoscopy "MiniMermaid" (13 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (12 views)
- Tsuneishi Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Offering shipbuilding service since 1917 (12 views)
- Dynax Corporation - Production of wet-type friction plates, reaction plates for vehicles and ships (10 views)