- Listed: 07/13/2014 7:28 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Summer bonuses surge in Japan, led by manufacturers
Date: Jul 14, 2014
TOKYO — Summer bonuses paid by Japan’s major corporations are rising 8.48% on average from last year, with manufacturers leading the way with double-digit growth, according to a Nikkei Inc. survey.
Payouts across all industries averaged 793,849 yen ($7,754), based on responses from 581 leading companies for which comparisons with the previous year were possible. The increase surpasses the 7% growth marked in 1989 and 1990, at the height of the bubble economy.
The weaker yen and growing overseas operations have helped buoy manufacturers’ earnings, contributing to their 10.94% jump in bonuses this summer. All 17 sectors are handing out bigger bonuses than a year ago. By comparison, payouts shrank in seven sectors last summer.
Steelmakers topped this year’s list with bonuses growing 27.6%. Payouts for the precision machinery sector rose 15.44%, followed by automakers and their parts suppliers at 13.21%. Toyota, which posted a record net profit in fiscal 2013, is shelling out 1.37 million yen.
Top Ads Today
- Watanabe Engineering Corporation - Manufacture of Sheet Metal Machine (101 views)
- TSI Holdings Co., Ltd. - Offer more than 50 clothing brands for women (75 views)
- THINK OF THINGS - Pop-up Store of KOKUYO stationery and office supplies (56 views)
- Japanese Infrastructure company - Hitachi Zosen Corporation (44 views)
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. - One of Japan’s leading pharmaceutical companies (20 views)
- DMG Mori Seiki Co., Ltd. - Being the No.1 Machine Tools Company for Customers (17 views)
- Tanihata Co., Ltd. - "Kumiko" Japanese Traditional Woodcraft Technique (17 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (15 views)
- Pesticide-Free & Genuine Japanese Tea Manufacturer Since 1865 - Kanei Hitokoto Seicha Inc. (15 views)
- ITO Co., Ltd. - Japan's first physiotherapy equipment manufacturer (13 views)