- Listed: 07/13/2014 7:28 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Summer bonuses surge in Japan, led by manufacturers
Date: Jul 14, 2014
TOKYO — Summer bonuses paid by Japan’s major corporations are rising 8.48% on average from last year, with manufacturers leading the way with double-digit growth, according to a Nikkei Inc. survey.
Payouts across all industries averaged 793,849 yen ($7,754), based on responses from 581 leading companies for which comparisons with the previous year were possible. The increase surpasses the 7% growth marked in 1989 and 1990, at the height of the bubble economy.
The weaker yen and growing overseas operations have helped buoy manufacturers’ earnings, contributing to their 10.94% jump in bonuses this summer. All 17 sectors are handing out bigger bonuses than a year ago. By comparison, payouts shrank in seven sectors last summer.
Steelmakers topped this year’s list with bonuses growing 27.6%. Payouts for the precision machinery sector rose 15.44%, followed by automakers and their parts suppliers at 13.21%. Toyota, which posted a record net profit in fiscal 2013, is shelling out 1.37 million yen.
Top Ads Today
- Watanabe Engineering Corporation - Manufacture of Sheet Metal Machine (76 views)
- TSI Holdings Co., Ltd. - Offer more than 50 clothing brands for women (29 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (28 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (19 views)
- ITO Co., Ltd. - Japan's first physiotherapy equipment manufacturer (16 views)
- D&M Holdings Inc. (16 views)
- Asahi Glass Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing of flat glass, automotive glass, display, and variety glass products (14 views)
- Kyokuto Valve Mfg. Co. Ltd. - We have over 60 years experience producing the highest quality safety valves (13 views)
- KOSÉ Corporation - Japanese Cosmetics, Skin Care and Hair Care Products (13 views)
- Prime Polymer Co., Ltd. (12 views)