- Listed: 07/23/2014 2:41 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Japan developing rain forest evaluation system
Date: Jul 24, 2014
Source: Nikkei – By NAOKI ASANUMA
TOKYO — Japanese researchers are developing a system to help Southeast Asian countries protect biological diversity in tropical rain forests.
The Environment Ministry and Kyoto University plan to develop a low-cost, satellite-based system to assess biodiversity in the region over the next three years. If the project is successful, they aim to implement it worldwide.
Satellite images, captured using both visible and infrared light, will be used with on-site inspection for quantitative analysis of tree species distributed every 30 sq. meters under the system. Levels of biodiversity will then be indexed for overall evaluation.
Inaccessible habitats will be easily analyzed through the use of satellites, helping to reduce research costs.
In tropical rain forests, production of lauan wood has eaten into other species’ habitats. The new system will provide a detailed analysis of the distribution of native trees and help loggers manage forests properly. It will also help importers of lauan wood confirm that the trees have been logged sustainably.
Top Ads Today
- Matte Gold Plating - Good corrosion resistant, low electrical resistivity and good bondability (6 views)
- Kansai Paint Co., Ltd. - One of the 10 biggest paint manufacturers in the world (5 views)
- Takaoka Lacquerware - Presented by OSK Global Business Promotion (5 views)
- Mitsuya Co., Ltd. – Providing the plating and finishing services since 1931 (5 views)
- Kawamura Sangyo Co. Ltd., - Slitting Services for Medical, Automotive, Electronic, Food and Other Applications (4 views)
- Gold-Tin Alloy Plating - Good joint strength and good thermal conductivity (4 views)
- Rhodium Plating - Strong wear resistance, high surface hardness and low contact resistance (4 views)
- TOHOKU KOGEI Co., Ltd. - Traditional Craftwork "Tamamushi Lacquerware" (4 views)
- Tagawa Sangyo Co., Ltd. - Surface coatings with using Japanese traditional Shikkui (4 views)
- Nitto Denko Corporation - Manufacturing adhesives and coating products (4 views)