- Listed: 06/10/2014 10:24 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Black-rind watermelons fetch 350,000 yen at season’s 1st auctions
Date: Jun 10, 2014
Source: Kyodo News
TOKYO – A black-rind watermelon grown in Hokkaido, northern Japan, fetched a winning bid of 350,000 yen ($3,500 USD) on Tuesday in the year’s first auction of the fruit at produce markets in Asahikawa and Sapporo.
The highest bid for one of roughly 240 Densuke watermelons, a signature product of the town of Toma, was 50,000 yen($500.00 USD) above last year’s top price.
The successful bidder at the Asahikawa market was Satoshi Ogino, a 47-year-old fruit and vegetable broker. “Providing little encouragement to the efforts of the farmers, I added 50,000 yen more to the winning price of last year,” he said.
A farmers’ cooperative in Toma said it plans to ship a combined 70,000 Densuke watermelons this year.
While the peak season of the fruit is in July, these are expected to retail for some 5,000 yen apiece.
The all-time highest winning bid for the fruit is 650,000 yen ($6500 USD), fetched in 2008.
Top Ads Today
- Nitto Denko Corporation - Manufacturing adhesives and coating products (34 views)
- World Co., Ltd. - Japan's leading clothing company with nearly 100 brands (28 views)
- Tohoku Electronic Industrial (TEI) Co., Ltd. - Testing Equipment Manufacturer (27 views)
- SENJO SEIKI Co., Ltd. - Automatic Chamfering and Deburring Machines (26 views)
- TSI Holdings Co., Ltd. - Offer more than 50 clothing brands for women (19 views)
- ONEX Corporation - Metal Heat Treatment, Processing and Metal Remediation Services (19 views)
- OHKI Co., Ltd. - We are a leading manufacturer of filter bags for tea and coffee (17 views)
- Taisei Plas Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing of blow molding products for automobile (17 views)
- ITO Co., Ltd. - Japan's first physiotherapy equipment manufacturer (12 views)
- Replication and Reproduction for Japanese Cultural Properties - Rivivere (11 views)