- Listed: 06/10/2014 10:24 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Black-rind watermelons fetch 350,000 yen at season’s 1st auctions
Date: Jun 10, 2014
Source: Kyodo News
TOKYO – A black-rind watermelon grown in Hokkaido, northern Japan, fetched a winning bid of 350,000 yen ($3,500 USD) on Tuesday in the year’s first auction of the fruit at produce markets in Asahikawa and Sapporo.
The highest bid for one of roughly 240 Densuke watermelons, a signature product of the town of Toma, was 50,000 yen($500.00 USD) above last year’s top price.
The successful bidder at the Asahikawa market was Satoshi Ogino, a 47-year-old fruit and vegetable broker. “Providing little encouragement to the efforts of the farmers, I added 50,000 yen more to the winning price of last year,” he said.
A farmers’ cooperative in Toma said it plans to ship a combined 70,000 Densuke watermelons this year.
While the peak season of the fruit is in July, these are expected to retail for some 5,000 yen apiece.
The all-time highest winning bid for the fruit is 650,000 yen ($6500 USD), fetched in 2008.
Top Ads Today
- Kyocera Communication Systems Co., Ltd. (4 views)
- Nanchiku Co., Ltd. - Kagoshima's Beef & Pork Processing (3 views)
- GS Alliance Co., Ltd. - Research and Developing on Cutting-edge Materials (2 views)
- Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo - Japan’s Most Prestigious International Hotel (2 views)
- Kyoetsu Co. Ltd., - Kimono sales, rental, women's wigs, men's apparel from Kyoto (2 views)
- Hotel Wing International Premium Kanazawa Ekimae - Designed by Ryuzo Shirae (2 views)
- Japanese Premium Motorcycle Helmets - SHOEI Co. Ltd. (2 views)
- GVIDO MUSIC Co., Ltd. - Designing and Manufacturing Digital Music Score Devices (2 views)
- Energy Agent Service - ENERES Co., Ltd. (2 views)
- Japanese High Grade Watermelon Sells for Over $3,500 USD (1 views)