- Listed: 06/10/2014 10:24 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Black-rind watermelons fetch 350,000 yen at season’s 1st auctions
Date: Jun 10, 2014
Source: Kyodo News
TOKYO – A black-rind watermelon grown in Hokkaido, northern Japan, fetched a winning bid of 350,000 yen ($3,500 USD) on Tuesday in the year’s first auction of the fruit at produce markets in Asahikawa and Sapporo.
The highest bid for one of roughly 240 Densuke watermelons, a signature product of the town of Toma, was 50,000 yen($500.00 USD) above last year’s top price.
The successful bidder at the Asahikawa market was Satoshi Ogino, a 47-year-old fruit and vegetable broker. “Providing little encouragement to the efforts of the farmers, I added 50,000 yen more to the winning price of last year,” he said.
A farmers’ cooperative in Toma said it plans to ship a combined 70,000 Densuke watermelons this year.
While the peak season of the fruit is in July, these are expected to retail for some 5,000 yen apiece.
The all-time highest winning bid for the fruit is 650,000 yen ($6500 USD), fetched in 2008.
Top Ads Today
- GROUND Inc. - Designs and Developing Cloud Based Logistics and Distribution System (11 views)
- Dynax Corporation - Production of wet-type friction plates, reaction plates for vehicles and ships (7 views)
- Prime Polymer Co., Ltd. (5 views)
- Komatsu Ltd. - World's 2nd largest manufacturer of construction equipment (5 views)
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. - Global leader in diverse industries in wide ranging fields (4 views)
- Nanchiku Co., Ltd. - Kagoshima's Beef & Pork Processing (3 views)
- Asahi Kasei Corporation (3 views)
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. - Top 3 Pharmaceutical Companies in Japan (2 views)
- Acoma Medical Industry Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing medical devices, including artificial ventilators (2 views)
- Adastria Co., Ltd. - Japan's major clothing company with 26 brands (2 views)