- Listed: 12/26/2013 9:43 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Japan’s Economy Continues to Recover
Date: December 27, 2013
Source: ABC News – By YURIKO NAGANO Associated Press
Japanese consumer prices rose last month, showing that the country’s economy continues to recover.
Government data released Friday showed that consumer prices excluding food rose 1.2 percent in November compared to the same month last year. It is the largest gain since November 2008.
Industrial output increased 0.1 percent, the third straight month of a rise.
The unemployment rate stayed at 4.0 percent, while jobs available rose but by less than the month before.
Economists say the Bank of Japan’s monetary policy of depreciating the yen and increasing the money supply combined with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe‘s economic strategy(Abenomics) such as spending on public works projects has been helping the world’s third largest-economy get back on its feet.
Prices for food and basic items are also increasing. The government’s data from November showed that grocery prices rose by 18.1 percent, electricity 8.2 percent and gasoline 8.7 percent.
Consumer prices excluding food and energy increased 0.6 percent compared to last year, the biggest rise since August 1998.
Worker incomes declined by 1.1 percent in November. Excluding housing costs, household spending fell by 1.2 percent from the month before.
“From an unemployment rate perspective, the economy as a whole may not be on the upswing,” said Tsutomu Watanabe, professor of economics at the University of Tokyo. “It may be that prices are increasing not because of actual consumer spending but from anticipation that prices of products will rise.”
Economists say a planned consumption tax hike from 5 percent to 8 percent in April 2014 was expected to push consumer spending up before that, followed by a fall in spending after the tax hike kicks in.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Nishikigoi Niigata Direct Co., Ltd. – Nishikigoi Breeder
- Watanabe Engineering Corporation – Manufacture of Sheet Metal Machine
- Shirataki Sake Brewery Co,. Ltd. – We have more than 150 years of brewing experience in Echigo Yuzawa
- Sony will soon launch two “lens-cameras” for iPhone, Android and Xperia
- Susumu Koyama’s Sweets Stores – Patissier es Koyama
Top Ads Today
- KENKO Mayonnaise Co., Ltd. - Mayonnaise and Dressings Manufacture (26 views)
- Morioka Seiko Instruments Inc. - Luxury Watch Manufacturer (11 views)
- Japan's leading sporting goods manufacturer - ASICS Corporation (10 views)
- Over 600 Franchises Restaurants in Japan - Ringer Hut Co., Ltd. (9 views)
- Barasu: "To Expose" - Honda Super Cub 50 Standard Model motorcycle (8 views)
- Specializes in Pigments, Nanotechnology and Photosensitizer Compounds - Fuji Pigment Co., Ltd. (8 views)
- Manufacturing Food Processing and Automation Machine - Nikko Co., Ltd. (7 views)
- Asahi Kasei Corporation (6 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (6 views)
- First produced Japanese whiskey in 1937 - Suntory Holdings Limited (6 views)