- Listed: 05/26/2014 2:30 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Restaurant sales rose 2.3% in April
Date: May 26, 2014
Source: NHK World
Restaurant chains across Japan brushed off the impact of the April consumption tax hike. Sales rose that month by more than 2 percent.
Officials from the Japan Food Service Association say sales were up 2.3 percent in April from the same month last year. The rise was for the second straight month. Family-style restaurant chains did especially well, with sales rising 5 percent. Restaurant operators credit new menus and discount coupons for the rise. Fast food restaurants added 0.9 percent to sales.
But some outlets had to increase prices after the tax raise, driving away some customers.
Still, officials from the association say the impact of the tax rise has been limited. Many restaurant operators continue to report strong sales for May.
The industry has been struggling lately, however, with a different problem: a shortage of part-time workers in Japan’s improving job market. The problem has even forced some restaurants to close. Industry watchers say the lack of manpower could influence future sales.
Top Ads Today
- Top Industrial Boiler Manufacturer in Japan - Miura Co., Ltd. (8 views)
- TSI Holdings Co., Ltd. - Offer more than 50 clothing brands for women (6 views)
- Gero Onsen - Yunoshimakan established in 1931 (4 views)
- Reel-to-reel Gold and Tin plating - High Conductive, Low Contact Resistance and Good Bonding & Soldering (4 views)
- World Co., Ltd. - Japan's leading clothing company with nearly 100 brands (4 views)
- World's largest provider of CIS solar panels - Solar Frontier K.K. (3 views)
- Casio Computer Co., Ltd. - Developed calculator in 1957, wristwatch in 1974 and musical instrument in 1986 (3 views)
- ITOCHU Corporation - One of the largest Japanese general trading company (2 views)
- Mitsui High-tec, Inc. - We have been producing the industrial machineries and tools since 1949 (2 views)
- Nippon Menard Cosmetic Co., Ltd. (2 views)