- Listed: 07/23/2014 2:41 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Japan developing rain forest evaluation system
Date: Jul 24, 2014
Source: Nikkei – By NAOKI ASANUMA
TOKYO — Japanese researchers are developing a system to help Southeast Asian countries protect biological diversity in tropical rain forests.
The Environment Ministry and Kyoto University plan to develop a low-cost, satellite-based system to assess biodiversity in the region over the next three years. If the project is successful, they aim to implement it worldwide.
Satellite images, captured using both visible and infrared light, will be used with on-site inspection for quantitative analysis of tree species distributed every 30 sq. meters under the system. Levels of biodiversity will then be indexed for overall evaluation.
Inaccessible habitats will be easily analyzed through the use of satellites, helping to reduce research costs.
In tropical rain forests, production of lauan wood has eaten into other species’ habitats. The new system will provide a detailed analysis of the distribution of native trees and help loggers manage forests properly. It will also help importers of lauan wood confirm that the trees have been logged sustainably.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Goto Sangyo Kisen Co., Ltd.
- Fukuoka Cloth Industry Co., Ltd. – Manufacturing of Adhesives and Tapes for Industrial Cable
- SAIJOINX Co., Ltd – Precise Metal Stamping & Insert Molding Manufacturer
- nano tech 2014 – The13th International Nanotechnology Exhibition & Conference
- TAISEI Corporation – Engineering and Construction Services
Top Ads Today
- KOSÉ Corporation - Japanese Cosmetics, Skin Care and Hair Care Products (44 views)
- SAGA HIMAT - Heavy Ion Cancer Treatment Center (28 views)
- Sato Seni Co., Ltd. - Yarn Spinning Manufacturer (27 views)
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (26 views)
- Fujiwara Industry Co., Ltd. - Wastewater Treatment and Tsunami Emergency Equipment (19 views)
- Mu Ltd. - Self-propelling capsule endoscopy "MiniMermaid" (13 views)
- TOHOKU KOGEI Co., Ltd. - Traditional Craftwork "Tamamushi Lacquerware" (13 views)
- Tsuneishi Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Offering shipbuilding service since 1917 (12 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (12 views)
- Dynax Corporation - Production of wet-type friction plates, reaction plates for vehicles and ships (10 views)