- Listed: 04/29/2014 10:16 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
Govt. promoting the power of women
Date: Apr. 28, 2014
Source: NHK World
The Japanese government is stepping up its efforts to tap the power of women as part of its growth strategy. Officials are considering requiring large companies to disclose the percentages of women on their boards of directors.
The government aim is to get businesses to fill some 30 percent of their managerial posts with women by 2020. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says empowering women is key to Japan’s future.
Currently, only 1 percent of the board members at listed companies in Japan are women, lagging far behind France’s 28 percent and the United States’ 16 percent.
To encourage executives to promote more women, the government is looking at requiring the publication of percentages of female board members in financial reports to facilitate comparison between companies.
Government officials say they hope to include the requirement in a new growth strategy to be compiled by June.
Top Ads Today
- Watanabe Engineering Corporation - Manufacture of Sheet Metal Machine (84 views)
- Fukuoka Shoyu Co., Ltd. - Inheriting the tradition of the soy sauce brewing for over 100 years (59 views)
- KOSÉ Corporation - Japanese Cosmetics, Skin Care and Hair Care Products (44 views)
- Unicharm Corporation - Manufacturing of Diapers, Feminine Hygiene and Pet Care Products (44 views)
- ITOCHU Corporation - One of the largest Japanese general trading company (42 views)
- Tanihata Co., Ltd. - "Kumiko" Japanese Traditional Woodcraft Technique (41 views)
- GROUND Inc. - Designs and Developing Cloud Based Logistics and Distribution System (38 views)
- Kyocera Communication Systems Co., Ltd. (25 views)
- Sysmex Corporation - Global Leader in Automated Hematology Diagnostics (19 views)
- ORITAEN CO., LTD. - Japanese Tea Manufacturer (17 views)