- Listed: 07/13/2014 7:28 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Summer bonuses surge in Japan, led by manufacturers
Date: Jul 14, 2014
TOKYO — Summer bonuses paid by Japan’s major corporations are rising 8.48% on average from last year, with manufacturers leading the way with double-digit growth, according to a Nikkei Inc. survey.
Payouts across all industries averaged 793,849 yen ($7,754), based on responses from 581 leading companies for which comparisons with the previous year were possible. The increase surpasses the 7% growth marked in 1989 and 1990, at the height of the bubble economy.
The weaker yen and growing overseas operations have helped buoy manufacturers’ earnings, contributing to their 10.94% jump in bonuses this summer. All 17 sectors are handing out bigger bonuses than a year ago. By comparison, payouts shrank in seven sectors last summer.
Steelmakers topped this year’s list with bonuses growing 27.6%. Payouts for the precision machinery sector rose 15.44%, followed by automakers and their parts suppliers at 13.21%. Toyota, which posted a record net profit in fiscal 2013, is shelling out 1.37 million yen.
Top Ads Today
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (77 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (21 views)
- Japan's leading sporting goods manufacturer - ASICS Corporation (21 views)
- Kyokuto Valve Mfg. Co. Ltd. - We have over 60 years experience producing the highest quality safety valves (18 views)
- SATSUMA SHUZO CO., LTD. - Shochu Manufacturer (18 views)
- Travel Information for Foreigner - Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) (17 views)
- Kyowa Giken - Pneumatic Pitching Machine "TOPGUN" (16 views)
- Japanese brand road bike specializing in triathlon - CEEPO (16 views)
- Japan's Smart Glasses Developer - WESTUNITIS CO., LTD. (16 views)
- First produced Japanese whiskey in 1937 - Suntory Holdings Limited (15 views)