Takaoka Douki (Copperware) – Japanese Traditional Craft of Castings
- State/Prefecture: Osaka Prefecture
- City/Town/Village: Osaka
- Street: 2-5 Honmachibashi, Chuo-ku,
- Country: Japan
- Zip/Postal Code: 540-0029
- Website: http://oskkaigai.wixsite.com/copperware-toyama/
- Listed: 04/15/2017 6:45 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Takaoka copperware is a traditional craft of castings which is produced in Takaoka, Toyama Prefecture. Takaoka douki started when a Kaga daimyo, Toshinaga MAEDA(1562-1614), summoned seven casters to the Kanaya-machi of Takaoka City to promote the area’s prosperity in 1611 (Keicho 16). In recent years, the 400th anniversary ceremonial event was held.
At first, it started as art and craft work presented to the feudal lord. Then it became widely popular in and outside Japan as Buddhist altar equipment, pots and kettles, vases, tea utensils, and decorations. Bronzeware was presented to the world at international expositions and was also exported, gaining a solid reputation.
The material first used was mainly iron casting, but around the middle of the Edo Period (1603-1868) there was an evolution towards a variety of materials, including alloyed metals such as copper castings, tin, bronze, and brass, as well as aluminum – marking a further improvement of the processing technologies. Polishing, metal carving, coloring, and other processing techniques were also developed, and a variety of modes of expression were established. Both manufacturing methods and processes have continued to develop, up to the present day.
In 1975, we were designated as a Primary Nationally Designated Traditional Craft; in 1979 we were designated as an area for specific industries, and the Takaoka Metalwork Association was registered as a “local community brand” by the Japan Patent Office on January 11, 2008.
The characteristics of Takaoka douki are free molding as well as intricate shaping, and graceful and smooth surface. Growing beauty through time and gently caressing the products day after day brings out an elegant sheen.
Takaoka douki provides pleasure as it ages gracefully with ownership.
Top Ads Today
- TSI Holdings Co., Ltd. - Offer more than 50 clothing brands for women (9 views)
- Kyoto Seisakusho Co., Ltd. - Manufacturing of packaging machines and processing machines (8 views)
- Nitride Semiconductors Co., Ltd. - World First successful development and mass production of UV LEDs (6 views)
- Japan's leading sporting goods manufacturer - ASICS Corporation (5 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (5 views)
- Japan Cell Co., Ltd. - Optical contact of adhesive free bonding process (5 views)
- Daikin Industries, Ltd. - A leading Innovator of High-quality Air Conditioning Solutions (5 views)
- NSK Ltd. - NSK Produced the First Ball Bearings Made in Japan (5 views)
- Shimamura Co., Ltd. - 2nd largest clothing company in Japan and ranked 10th in the world in 2017 (5 views)
- Indium Plating - Good sealability, galling resistance and abrasion resistance (5 views)