- State/Prefecture: Osaka Prefecture
- City/Town/Village: Osaka
- Street: 2-5 Honmachibashi, Chuo-ku,
- Country: Japan
- Zip/Postal Code: 540-0029
- Website: http://oskkaigai.wixsite.com/copperware-toyama/
- Listed: 04/15/2017 6:45 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Takaoka copperware is a traditional craft of castings which is produced in Takaoka, Toyama Prefecture. Takaoka douki started when a Kaga daimyo, Toshinaga MAEDA(1562-1614), summoned seven casters to the Kanaya-machi of Takaoka City to promote the area’s prosperity in 1611 (Keicho 16). In recent years, the 400th anniversary ceremonial event was held.
At first, it started as art and craft work presented to the feudal lord. Then it became widely popular in and outside Japan as Buddhist altar equipment, pots and kettles, vases, tea utensils, and decorations. Bronzeware was presented to the world at international expositions and was also exported, gaining a solid reputation.
The material first used was mainly iron casting, but around the middle of the Edo Period (1603-1868) there was an evolution towards a variety of materials, including alloyed metals such as copper castings, tin, bronze, and brass, as well as aluminum – marking a further improvement of the processing technologies. Polishing, metal carving, coloring, and other processing techniques were also developed, and a variety of modes of expression were established. Both manufacturing methods and processes have continued to develop, up to the present day.
In 1975, we were designated as a Primary Nationally Designated Traditional Craft; in 1979 we were designated as an area for specific industries, and the Takaoka Metalwork Association was registered as a “local community brand” by the Japan Patent Office on January 11, 2008.
The characteristics of Takaoka douki are free molding as well as intricate shaping, and graceful and smooth surface. Growing beauty through time and gently caressing the products day after day brings out an elegant sheen.
Takaoka douki provides pleasure as it ages gracefully with ownership.
Top Ads Today
- KOSÉ Corporation - Japanese Cosmetics, Skin Care and Hair Care Products (11 views)
- Yahoo! Japan Helps Blind Kids Search The Internet With 3D-Printing Machine (8 views)
- Therabiopharma Inc. - Biotech research and development company with Kyoto University (8 views)
- DNAVEC Corporation - Gene Medicines, Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicines (7 views)
- GROUND Inc. - Designs and Developing Cloud Based Logistics and Distribution System (7 views)
- NAKATA FOODS CO., LTD. - Manufacturing Firm of Ume Product (6 views)
- KAWANOE ZOKI CO., LTD. - We produce 80% of toilet paper and tissue paper in Japan (6 views)
- Watanabe Engineering Corporation - Manufacture of Sheet Metal Machine (6 views)
- Yushi-Seihin Co., Ltd. - Oil & Fat Products supply and trading since 1947 (6 views)
- Nakashima Propeller Co., Ltd. - Ship Propeller Manufacturer (5 views)