- Listed: 06/13/2014 10:39 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
IPS researchers identify gene in retinal disease
Date: Jun 14, 2014
Source: NHK World
A research group says it has succeeded in identifying a gene related to a serious retinal disorder by using stem cells created from a patient’s tissue.
The team led by Keio University Professor Hideyuki Okano created iPS, or induced pluripotent stem cells, with tissue taken from a patient suffering from retinitis pigmentosa.
The disease kills retinal cells and may result in loss of sight. No cure has been discovered.
The researchers reproduced the condition in a test tube by turning the iPS cells into retinal cells.
They say they found that a mutation of a gene called rhodopsin causes cells to die and allows the disease to progress.
The researchers also found that a type of cancer drug can reduce the function of rhodopsin and prevent the symptoms from worsening.
Professor Okano says iPS cells enabled the team to prove the causal relation between the gene mutation and the symptom.
He says the finding could lead to preventive treatments for people with mutated genes.
Top Ads Today
- Nihon Dento Kougyo Co., Ltd. - Leading Company for Electroplating in Japan (16 views)
- ABI Co., Ltd. - Freezer machine for keeping tissue cells alive (11 views)
- Fukuoka Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. - Shipbuilding Company (10 views)
- Kyokuto Valve Mfg. Co. Ltd. - We have over 60 years experience producing the highest quality safety valves (9 views)
- Japan's Smart Glasses Developer - WESTUNITIS CO., LTD. (7 views)
- Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC) - Manufacturing of lithium-ion batteries for automotive (7 views)
- Kyowa Giken - Pneumatic Pitching Machine "TOPGUN" (7 views)
- SHIMADZU Corporation - Manufacturer of Precision Instruments, Measuring Instruments, Medical Equipment and Aircraft Equipment (7 views)
- AMINO UP CHEMICAL Co.,Ltd. - Oligonol (6 views)
- Nakamura Brace Co. Ltd. - Orthotics and Prosthetics Manufacturer (6 views)