- Listed: 06/13/2014 10:39 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
IPS researchers identify gene in retinal disease
Date: Jun 14, 2014
Source: NHK World
A research group says it has succeeded in identifying a gene related to a serious retinal disorder by using stem cells created from a patient’s tissue.
The team led by Keio University Professor Hideyuki Okano created iPS, or induced pluripotent stem cells, with tissue taken from a patient suffering from retinitis pigmentosa.
The disease kills retinal cells and may result in loss of sight. No cure has been discovered.
The researchers reproduced the condition in a test tube by turning the iPS cells into retinal cells.
They say they found that a mutation of a gene called rhodopsin causes cells to die and allows the disease to progress.
The researchers also found that a type of cancer drug can reduce the function of rhodopsin and prevent the symptoms from worsening.
Professor Okano says iPS cells enabled the team to prove the causal relation between the gene mutation and the symptom.
He says the finding could lead to preventive treatments for people with mutated genes.
1241 total views, 1 today
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: JAPAN PRODUCTS
- Member Since: 11/14/2012
Other items listed by JAPAN PRODUCTS
- SENJO SEIKI Co., Ltd. – Automatic Chamfering and Deburring Machines
- BioOpto Japan 2013 in YOKOHAMA JAPAN Oct 16-18, 2013
- Kubo Industries Co., Ltd.
- PLANTEC Inc. – Manufacturing of incineration plant and flue gas treatment systems
- Japanese construction companies with good track record in constructing existing railways in Taiwan
Top Ads Today
- Nippon Poly-Glu Co., Ltd. - Provides Water Treatment Assistance (5 views)
- Gifu Seiki Kogyo Co., Ltd. - We specialize in precision deep drawing (3 views)
- Japan companies eyes Southeast Asia for developing food market (3 views)
- Mitaka Kohki Co., Ltd. - 50% share of the market for neurosurgical microscopes (3 views)
- SHINKO IND. LTD. - Our Cargo Oil Pumps Occupies 85% of The Global Market (3 views)
- Nippura Co., Ltd. - Aquarium Manufacturer (2 views)
- Yamazaki Mazak Corporation - Industrial Machine Manufacturing (2 views)
- Orange Blossom - Ukiko Plantation (2 views)
- OHKI Co., Ltd. - We are a leading manufacturer of filter bags for tea and coffee (2 views)
- Ohtsuki Seiko Co., Ltd. - Our precision gears hold over 30% market shares in Japan (2 views)