- Company Name: NAKATA FOODS
- State/Prefecture: Wakayama
- City/Town/Village: Tanabe
- Street: 1475 Shimomisu
- Country: Japan
- Zip/Postal Code: 646-0292
- Website: http://www.nakatafoods.com
- Listed: 05/09/2013 7:01 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
NAKATA FOODS is the largest manufacturing firm of ume product in the region. The firm manufactures “pickled umes” and “ume liqueurs” that are traditional health products in Japan, and “ume products” from Kishu Ume.
The firm celebrated the 100th anniversary in 1997 and honorarily welcomed the Emperor and Empress of Japan at the factory. In the same year, we also received Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries prize.
“Ume” (Japanese apricot) has played a significant role in protecting health and longevity of Japanese people since ancient times. “Kishu Ume” grows in genial climate and mineral-rich soil of Minami (southern) Kishu region and produces abundant ripe fruits. Minami Kishu is located in the southwestern part of Wakayama prefecture. It is a major production area of “Nanko-ume”, a kind of Japanese apricot that boasts Japan’s largest harvest and the prime quality.
Japan has a long history of preserving ume by drying and salting. This form of pickle is called umeboshi and was eaten for a variety of reasons. It was used to prevent food poisoning and food from going bad. This proves the antibacterial properties of the benzaldehyde contained in umeboshi.
The high amount of citric acids helps burn lactic acid that builds up in muscles during physical activity. During the warring era in Japan (16th century) soldiers had to wear armor and helmets weighing up to 30~40kg. Warriors are said to have eaten umeboshi to build up energy before a battle and to help recover after fighting. Other people also ate umeboshi everyday especially after hard labor. Included in very simple meals it supplied daily important nutrients including salt.
Dr. Utsunomiya from the Wakayama Prefecture Medical Science University has been doing detailed research into the positive effects of umeboshi on the human body. One of the leading causes of stomach cancer in Japan is caused by Helicobacter pylori and umeboshi was found to decrease its numbers. Umeboshi also was found to help stop the hardening of arteries and lower blood sugar levels. There has also been research done on the antioxidant capabilities of flavonoid contained in umeboshi. Some studies have shown that umeboshi obstructs the oxygen flow inside cancer cells disrupting their organizational powers.
Top Ads Today
- Nishiyama Seimen - Traditional Sapporo Ramen Noodle (22 views)
- Plan designed by Japanese architect in the development projects of Paris was adopted (11 views)
- Takaoka Douki (Copperware) - Japanese Traditional Craft of Castings (8 views)
- ITO Co., Ltd. - Japan's first physiotherapy equipment manufacturer (8 views)
- Hotel Sonia Otaru - Located along the scenic Otaru Canal and equipped natural hot-spring bath (8 views)
- Nitto Denko Corporation - Manufacturing adhesives and coating products (7 views)
- Mu Ltd. - Self-propelling capsule endoscopy "MiniMermaid" (7 views)
- Dietary supplement "Spirulina" and "Organic Germanium" - Japan Algae Co., Ltd. (7 views)
- Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. - Operates Japan’s largest department store with history of 345 years (7 views)
- Moritaka Hamono Inc. - Japanese Knife Manufacturing Company (7 views)